Throughout the year, I have been completing SOWT Analysis on each module I have been involved in. In life, you are most likely to succeed if you use your talents to their fullest extent. Similarly, you’ll suffer fewer problems if you know what your weaknesses are, and if you manage these weaknesses so that they don’t matter in the work you do.
So how you go about identifying these strengths and weaknesses, and analyzing the opportunities and threats that flow from them? SWOT Analysis is a useful technique that helps you do this.
What makes SWOT especially powerful is that, with a little thought, it can help you uncover opportunities that you would not otherwise have spotted. And by understanding your weaknesses, you can manage and eliminate threats that might otherwise hurt your ability to move forward.
- What advantages do you have that others don’t have (for example, skills, certifications, education, or connections)?
- What personal resources can you access?
- What do other people see as your strengths?
- Which of your achievements are you most proud of?
- What tasks do you usually avoid because you don’t feel confident doing them?
- What will the people around you see as your weaknesses?
- Are you completely confident in your education and skills training? If not, where are you weakest?
- What are your negative work habits (for example, are you often late, are you disorganised, do you have a short temper, or are you poor at handling stress)?
- What new technology can help you? Or can you get help from others or from people via the Internet?
- Is your industry growing? If so, how can you take advantage of the current market?
- Are any of your competitors failing to do something important? If so, can you take advantage of their mistakes?
- What obstacles do you currently face?
- Is your job (or the demand for the things you do) changing?
- Does changing technology threaten your position?
- Could any of your weaknesses lead to threats?
In the list below, you will find each of my SWOT Analysis that has been carried out for each module this year at college. Simply click on the link and it will take you to the corresponding blog post.